Exile

Exile


The heavens are covered in ashes, 
The clouds wearing anguish and woe
The angels are singing in silence
For sons that they no longer know

The mountains have cast down their pillars
The hilltops have fallen in grief
The flowers now colored in black
The forests have shed every leaf

The oceans lie dormant and somber
The rivers have run their course dry
The birds have ceased all their chirping
On this day when the flames reached the sky

On this day when the flames reached the sky
On this day when the sages all cry
On this day when the holy stones sigh
On this day when destruction is nigh

And now I am homeless and lonely
Like a lamb lost, I wander and roam
For I have perverted my duties
I have witnessed the doom of my home

And now I am tortured and beaten
Hated despised and abused
A floundering fish out of water
Battered and broken and bruised 

And my glory has long been forgotten
The heavenly throne now ablaze
For foxes and heathens now trample
As I wail and lament for those days

And the oceans of blood have ascended 
And the mountains of corpses the same
We plead and we pray for salvation 
To once again see your great name

Yet through all the misfortune and sorrow 
Through all of the bloodshed and pain
Your hand has been right beside us
The hardship has not been in vain

 And no matter what may come upon us
We stand stronger than ever before
For we’re standing on shoulders of giants
So now we can access your door 

For although we may still be in darkness
And we sit in our sadness and mourn
We know that there is a purpose
Through disaster our redemption is born

Comments

  1. Encapsulated tisha b’av perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  2. 💔💔 so succinct

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant work! I think of the captivity of Israel during the Babylon invasion or the Israelites in Egypt...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tomorrow

My Garden